Career fairs’ are available all over the US which are a fast and easy way to gain exposure about the availability of employment in your area. If you prefer and in-person meeting with a hiring manager or an online search and application process, job fairs are a good place to start. Remember “Time is money” so you may want to consider looking online first. If you don’t have a computer or a friend with a computer, head over to your local library, college or university library they have plenty of computers available for you to use.
Tips and Tricks
- Dress professionally. Consider reading “Dress for Success” before you go on any interviews.
- Research the company before you make any contact, to find out if they have positions available, so you don’t waste your time.
- Prioritize the employers you are interested in, and prepare two to three questions you want answers to before you make any commitments.
- Prepare or update your résumé and any relevant military education or training for your area of interest.
- When working on your resume be specific i.e. Increased Sales 30%, Profits 20%, Reduced Expenses 10%, Developed new product/concept.
- Make your resume unusual, larger or smaller, in a booklet (so it is heaver and falls out of the stack) (11”X17” so it sticks out of the stack)
- If job openings aren’t available ask if there are projects on the back burner which you could work on for them.
- For virtual or online events, fill out all necessary online profile requirements (including résumé, references, and a professional high-resolution photo), and update your LinkedIn profile.
Find a career fair near you
Corporate Gray military-friendly job fairs take place in the Washington, DC, metro area and in Virginia Beach. Corporate Gray also hosts Virtual Military Job Fairs, which are open to all transitioning Service members and Veterans.
Hiring Our Heroes organizes hiring fairs and other events to help Veterans, transitioning Service members, and military spouses find meaningful employment opportunities.
JobZone career fairs bring together the area’s top employers, including defense and commercial companies, federal agencies, placement and staffing companies, colleges, and universities.
Military Officers Association of America (MOAA) hosts six free, live hiring and networking events, as well as quarterly virtual events for Servicemembers and their spouses.
TechExpoUSA.com serves as an online career center where defense contractors, technology companies, consulting firms, and numerous U.S. governmental agencies can recruit and hire experienced professionals with security clearance.
Virtual Job Scout, sponsored by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation’s Hiring Our Heroes, connects Veterans, transitioning Servicemembers, and military spouses with recruiters online.
Veteran Recruiting job fairs are virtual events that give job seekers the opportunity to chat live with employers online. Employers are also available offline.
You are on your way. Keep checking our web site as our job board changes daily with new listings.
Warning: preg_match(): Compilation failed: invalid range in character class at offset 12 in /home/strateg9/public_html/wp-content/plugins/js_composer/include/classes/shortcodes/vc-basic-grid.php on line 177